Off Topic

16 replies to this thread. Most Recent

RavenManiac

2 Oct 2014, 3:16 am

[Pro] Air Stylus iPad App?

I just landed a project to illustrate some builder site plan maps. This will require that I draw roads, waterways, forests, and other typical map elements.

I plan on doing this in Adobe Illustrator, but the thought of using a mouse to trace out some of these elements would likely frustrate the heck out of me.

I considered purchasing a Wacom tablet, but at $200 that eats into a good portion of the profit I have in this particular job. I happened to glance over at my iPad and thought, why can’t I use that as a drawing tablet. A little research yielded an iOS app called Air Stylus.

Has anyone used the Air Stylus app with their iPad and is it a reasonable replacement for a Wacom tablet? I’m assuming I’d also need to purchase Air Display to make this work. Any help or advice is appreciated.

http://www.avatron.com/applications/air-stylus/

Virginia, USA

MacBook Pro 9,1 | OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan | FW Pro 7.1.3 | Synology DS1512+

Todd

2 Oct 2014, 3:26 am

Whatever you need to buy is a business expense, yes? So what’s a couple hundred $ for something you’ll most likely use again for work?

I don’t know anything about Air whatever.

Todd http://xiiro.com

RavenManiac

2 Oct 2014, 3:28 am

Yeah, that’s a good point. Do you have a Wacom tablet? I’m thinking the medium size will probably be the best option. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos-Touch-Small-Tablet/dp/B00EN27U9U/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1412218456&sr=1-1&keywords=drawing+tablet#customerReviews

Virginia, USA

MacBook Pro 9,1 | OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan | FW Pro 7.1.3 | Synology DS1512+

swimmer35

2 Oct 2014, 3:29 am

I have used the bamboo and really like it also try I draw which is very compatible with bamboo

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/everyday

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 1, 2014, at 11:16 PM, RavenManiac <[email protected]> wrote:

I just landed a project to illustrate some builder site plan maps. This will require that I draw roads, waterways, forests, and other typical map elements.

I plan on doing this in Adobe Illustrator, but the thought of using a mouse to trace out some of these elements would likely frustrate the heck out of me.

I considered purchasing a Wacom tablet, but at $200 that eats into a good portion of the profit I have in this particular job. I happened to glance over at my iPad and thought, why can’t I use that as a drawing tablet. A little research yielded an iOS app called Air Stylus.

Has anyone used the Air Stylus app with their iPad and is it a reasonable replacement for a Wacom tablet? I’m assuming I’d also need to purchase Air Display to make this work. Any help or advice is appreciated.

http://www.avatron.com/applications/air-stylus/

swimmer35

2 Oct 2014, 3:30 am

Idraw is on the iPad

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 1, 2014, at 11:29 PM, Julie Maxwell <[email protected]> wrote:

I have used the bamboo and really like it also try I draw which is very compatible with bamboo

http://www.wacom.com/en/us/everyday

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 1, 2014, at 11:16 PM, RavenManiac <[email protected]> wrote:

I just landed a project to illustrate some builder site plan maps. This will require that I draw roads, waterways, forests, and other typical map elements.

I plan on doing this in Adobe Illustrator, but the thought of using a mouse to trace out some of these elements would likely frustrate the heck out of me.

I considered purchasing a Wacom tablet, but at $200 that eats into a good portion of the profit I have in this particular job. I happened to glance over at my iPad and thought, why can’t I use that as a drawing tablet. A little research yielded an iOS app called Air Stylus.

Has anyone used the Air Stylus app with their iPad and is it a reasonable replacement for a Wacom tablet? I’m assuming I’d also need to purchase Air Display to make this work. Any help or advice is appreciated.

http://www.avatron.com/applications/air-stylus/

Todd

2 Oct 2014, 3:32 am

I researched Wacom several years ago but have never owned one, though I would like to. I’m sure a lot has changed since I looked at them.

Todd http://xiiro.com

Yeah, that’s a good point. Do you have a Wacom tablet? I’m thinking the medium size will probably be the best option. What do you think?

RavenManiac

2 Oct 2014, 3:33 am

On 2 Oct 2014, 3:30 am, swimmer35 wrote:

Idraw is on the iPad

Yes, but I’m looking for something that will interface with my MacBook Pro, which I use as a desktop system—like a Wacom Tablet.

Virginia, USA

MacBook Pro 9,1 | OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan | FW Pro 7.1.3 | Synology DS1512+

RavenManiac

2 Oct 2014, 3:34 am

On 2 Oct 2014, 3:32 am, Todd wrote:

I researched Wacom several years ago but have never owned one, though I would like to. I’m sure a lot has changed since I looked at them.

Todd

The amazon reviews look really good for an inexpensive tablet. The last time I looked into Wacom Tablets a few years ago they were much more expensive. I’ve also read that bluetooth lag is can be a problem with Air Stylus/Air Play.

Virginia, USA

MacBook Pro 9,1 | OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan | FW Pro 7.1.3 | Synology DS1512+

swimmer35

2 Oct 2014, 3:41 am

Sorry if I miss understand

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 1, 2014, at 11:33 PM, RavenManiac <[email protected]> wrote:

On 2 Oct 2014, 3:30 am, swimmer35 wrote:

Idraw is on the iPad

Yes, but I’m looking for something that will interface with my MacBook Pro, which I use as a desktop system—like a Wacom Tablet.

The Big Erns

2 Oct 2014, 4:25 am

I use the Intuos4 - practical and usable.

no longer subscribed to this discussion…

RavenManiac

2 Oct 2014, 4:43 am

On 2 Oct 2014, 4:25 am, The Big Erns wrote:

I use the Intuos4 - practical and usable.

What size do you use?

Virginia, USA

MacBook Pro 9,1 | OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan | FW Pro 7.1.3 | Synology DS1512+

The Big Erns

2 Oct 2014, 5:44 am

What size do you use?

The large… but I’ve used smaller ones too. Size depends on your comfort level. I bought several for my graphic team on a project a few years ago, this one is left-over.

no longer subscribed to this discussion…

waltd

2 Oct 2014, 11:59 am

I have two of them — bought one, and won the other as a door prize at a conference. Both are the 7” Intuos, and I use one roughly every other year. (! gave one to my art-school daughter, who loathes the combo of art + technology, and probably uses it to level her desk or something.)

My personal drawing style is very small, so the little pad suits me very well. But I mostly use the mouse in Illustrator and Photoshop, or I draw on paper and scan that. Haven’t really had enough practice to make the screen/tablet connection in my brain/hand, so the whole thing is usually more frustrating than I’d like, and back in the drawer it goes.

Especially in Illustrator, but also in Photoshop, I find that I think and work in Bezier curves, not drawn strokes (a hangover from starting using Illustrator at version ’88). It’s quite maddening to try to manipulate Bezier curves with a tablet and pen.

Walter

Freeway user since 1997

http://www.walterdavisstudio.com

RavenManiac

2 Oct 2014, 12:09 pm

Hey Walter, I’m old school too, but for tracing maps I think the Wacom will work pretty well. Plus, Adobe has made some HUGE improvements in tools like the pencil, which offers a really cool live do-over feature.

Ernie, as far as the Intuos4, it’s been replaced with the Intuos Pro. The costs is a little more than $300 for a medium, which would probably be wasted on my limited illustrative abilities. :)

At this point, I’m leaning towards the Intuos Pen and Touch for around $200, but I think I’ll compare the two just to make sure.

Virginia, USA

MacBook Pro 9,1 | OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan | FW Pro 7.1.3 | Synology DS1512+

David Owen

8 Oct 2014, 8:48 am

Same here. Bought a small Wacom Tablet for those times I need finer shading in Photoshop or free hand lines in Illustrator (although now testing Affinity Designer as it’s looking a good contender for kicking Illustrator into touch.)

Maybe my brain has been trained to think in graphic lines over the years. The only time I really draw is using the iPad + Wacom Bamboo pen and the great Paper app to prototype design and ideas.

Regarding drawing maps. Using a vector drawing app would be much faster than hand drawing. I’ve done loads of maps over the years. Think carefully… for example the roads are done with just a single stroke width using background stroke layers for the road edge.

David Owen
Printline Advertising

http://www.davidowendesign.com

On 2 Oct 2014, at 12:59, waltd <[email protected]> wrote:

But I mostly use the mouse in Illustrator and Photoshop,

www.ineedwebhosting.co.uk

Freeway Friendly Web Hosting, Domain Names, VPS and Dedicated Servers. (Create an account it’s Free!)


PrintlineAdvertising.co.uk

Print Design, Digital and Litho Printers, Promotional Merchandise and Corporate Gifts.

RavenManiac

8 Oct 2014, 3:07 pm

I ended up getting the Wacom medium sized tablet I referenced above and I friggin love it. And yes David, I used AI for the map. :)

Virginia, USA

MacBook Pro 9,1 | OS X 10.11.5 El Capitan | FW Pro 7.1.3 | Synology DS1512+

Back to Top

steph

7 Aug 2020, 8:07 am

XP-PEN Drawing tablets https://www.xp-pen.com are actually good though. They may not be as nice as Wacom tablets but they have good specs and decent build quality. Given the price I think it’s the only cheap drawing tablet brand that’s actually worth buying.

I use Illustrator with a couple of XP-PEN Deco tablets - a Deco MINI7 in the laptop bag and a Deco 03 on the desk, both are from when “Deco” was the pro line and “Star” was the amateur. You can get them used for cheap and they will last forever.

Or you could spend more money on a screen tablet ( XP-PEN Artist ), I’ve been used to drawing in one place and seeing it in another for decades so I haven’t bothered.

Also the iPad Pro can’t run Illustrator. Just “Illustrator Draw” which is a super-cut-down thing. Supposedly Adobe is porting the full thing but I ain’t holding my breath.