FreewayTalk

6 replies to this thread. Most Recent

Jim Feeney

30 Sep 2018, 8:26 pm

[Pro] Question re New Pages After HTTPS Migration

I’ve been using Freeway (happily) for 14 years. Just this past month I migrated my ~430-page website to secure https. All went well, and the 301 redirect in my .htaccess has successfully moved all my pages over to https (sample link included below).

My question, which I never thought about before migrating to https: When I now create and upload a new page, is there something I need to do or add in Freeway to “make” that page https? Or does the upload to my host just read the 301 redirect in the .htaccess and automatically put the new page on the host in the https protocol?

https://www.jimfeeney.org/deacon-ministry.html

Oregon, USA | 2017 iMac 21.5” | 3.6 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | OS 10.14 | User since Fwy 3.5 | https://www.jimfeeney.org

waltd

1 Oct 2018, 12:05 am

Everything about Freeway is designed to be completely server-agnostic. All of the links that are created by Freeway are “relative” links, that don’t include the hostname or protocol. Because of the way that web browsers and servers cooperate on this point, anything that isn’t actually defined by the HTML gets “filled in” by the server and browser.

So if you are on a page like https://www.example.com/some/folder/index.html, and on that page you encounter a link to ../other/folder/test.html (which is an example of a relative URL, such as Freeway generates), then when you click on that link in a browser, it’s exactly the same as navigating to this absolute URL: https://www.example.com/some/other/folder/test.html

Walter

On Sep 30, 2018, at 4:26 PM, Jim Feeney <[email protected]> wrote:

I’ve been using Freeway (happily) for 14 years. Just this past month I migrated my ~430-page website to secure https. All went well, and the 301 redirect in my .htaccess has successfully moved all my pages over to https (sample link included below).

My question, which I never thought about before migrating to https: When I now create and upload a new page, is there something I need to do or add in Freeway to “make” that page https? Or does the upload to my host just read the 301 redirect in the .htaccess and automatically put the new page on the host in the https protocol?

https://www.jimfeeney.org/deacon-ministry.html

Freeway user since 1997

http://www.walterdavisstudio.com

Jim Feeney

1 Oct 2018, 1:17 am

Thanks, Walter. Appreciated, as always.

Oregon, USA | 2017 iMac 21.5” | 3.6 GHz Intel Core i7 | 16 GB RAM | OS 10.14 | User since Fwy 3.5 | https://www.jimfeeney.org

madcomposter

8 Apr 2019, 11:54 am

There is a “quicklink” - http://www.softpress.com - that is keeping my old http site from becoming a https site. I’m told all external links have to be https for the “Not Secure” notice to go away in the browser bar. How do I eliminate this link or edit it? Thanks.

Jeremy Hughes

8 Apr 2019, 12:04 pm

You can use Edit URLs (from the Edit menu) to replace http://www.softpress.com with https://www.softpress.com

Jeremy

On 8 Apr 2019, at 12:54, madcomposter <[email protected]> wrote:

There is a “quicklink” - http://www.softpress.com - that is keeping my old http site from becoming a https site. I’m told all external links have to be https for the “Not Secure” notice to go away in the browser bar. How do I eliminate this link or edit it? Thanks.

madcomposter

8 Apr 2019, 12:08 pm

I tried that - this link is not showing up there

Back to Top

Paul

8 Apr 2019, 3:37 pm

Only links actually used in your site will be in that Edit URLs window. So the softpress.com one won’t there, unless you’ve specifically applied it to something. Have you got an example of the page in your site where this link is used? If so, and it’s not in the Edit URLs window, there’ll may a bug in Freeway somewhere stopping it from being shown (or it’s protected from editing). If that‘s the case, you will have to find the linked item in your Freeway document and manually edit the URL to use https instead of http

On 8 Apr 2019, 12:08 pm, madcomposter wrote:

I tried that - this link is not showing up there

All the best,

Paul

My Actions Site: http://www.actionsworld.com

Actions for Galleries, decorating that text box and many more!