FreewayTalk

6 replies to this thread. Most Recent

A Matters

23 Nov 2010, 4:58 pm

[Pro] Problems

I am experiencing problems uploading changes to my site in Freeway Pro. I have changed a few pages, but it seems intent on uploading the entire site again, rather than simply comparing files and uploading those that have changed (I’m pretty sure this is what it used to do). Because my site is quite large now, it keeps on timing out about half way through, saying the FTP server has stopped responding. I have only noticed this since I updated to the latest freeway 5.4 (I think).

Any help would be much appreciated.

url - http://www.heterarchy.co.uk

waltd

12 Aug 2019, 2:07 pm

I’m not at all familiar with that template, but are you trying to draw the image into place, or selecting the existing logo container element, removing its image, and replacing it with your own? If this is a responsive template, I would not expect the former approach to work at all.

Walter

On Aug 12, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Chris Bevan via freewaytalk <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi there,

I’m trying to build this charity website, but I have limited experience.

I’ve used the Ambience template and I’m trying to adapt it so that I have a logo at the top, then the CSS menus, and then pictures and text.

I can’t seem to add, insert or delete HTML items properly. I can’t find any guidance on what I’m doing wrong, so please could anyone help?

www.butaleproject.org

Freeway user since 1997

http://www.walterdavisstudio.com

waltd

12 Aug 2019, 2:24 pm

If you have an undo-path back to the original layout (or can just create a new page based on the existing template master page) try instead of deleting the image, selecting it, then choosing File / Import and selecting your desired image. Deleting the image will also delete its image box, along with whatever size/positioning settings may have been applied to it. There’s a lot of rich metadata around that object that you would have to know how to set, and the template will not tell you about until it’s too late.

Walter

On Aug 12, 2019, at 10:15 AM, Chris Bevan via freewaytalk <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes, I was deleting the existing image and replacing it with my own. It does very strange things with the layout of the CSS menus, which I wanted underneath.

I think the template is a responsive one, as the pages change depending on what device it is viewed on.

On 12 Aug 2019, 2:07 pm, waltd wrote:

I’m not at all familiar with that template, but are you trying to draw the image into place, or selecting the existing logo container element, removing its image, and replacing it with your own? If this is a responsive template, I would not expect the former approach to work at all.

Walter

On Aug 12, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Chris Bevan via freewaytalk

Freeway user since 1997

http://www.walterdavisstudio.com

waltd

12 Aug 2019, 2:57 pm

I think that if you want to do anything besides replace what is where on the page, you are going to end up breaking the template. Freeway 7’s responsive layout is fairly brittle — it’s the sort of thing you get the way you want it and then weld the lid on. Until you’ve build a few pages from scratch, starting from a completely blank page, I don’t think you’ll find this easy or even do-able, because with only one level of Undo, you will be stuck pretty quickly.

Walter

On Aug 12, 2019, at 10:32 AM, Chris Bevan via freewaytalk <[email protected]> wrote:

Thank you very much, I can see now that that is what has happened - so I can rebuild from there.

Could you tell me if I’m able to move the HTML elements around the page (If I can, how do I?!), or am I literally stuck with how they appear on the template?

I really appreciate your help!

On 12 Aug 2019, 2:24 pm, waltd wrote:

If you have an undo-path back to the original layout (or can just create a new page based on the existing template master page) try instead of deleting the image, selecting it, then choosing File / Import and selecting your desired image. Deleting the image will also delete its image box, along with whatever size/positioning settings may have been applied to it. There’s a lot of rich metadata around that object that you would have to know how to set, and the template will not tell you about until it’s too late.

Walter

On Aug 12, 2019, at 10:15 AM, Chris Bevan via freewaytalk

Freeway user since 1997

http://www.walterdavisstudio.com

Jeremy Hughes

12 Aug 2019, 3:49 pm

The Ambient template contains a “header-wrapper” item. This contains two items: “navigation” (the menus) and “logo”. “header-wrapper” is followed by a “body” item that contains the main page content.

Since you say that you want the image to be above the CSS menus, I think that you should be placing it somewhere in the “header-wrapper”. The page is designed to have header content (usually the same on all pages) followed by body content (specific to each page). You probably want to make these changes on a master page.

The key to responsive design is to use inflow elements rather than layer elements. These are a little awkward to use in Freeway, but you can create them by clicking inside a box (so there is a text cursor) and choosing “HTML Item” or “Graphic Item” from the Insert menu. The items inside “header-wrapper” are also floated, which allows them to be positioned next to each other.

One way that you can distinguish inflow elements from layer elements is that inflow elements have a “CSS” checkbox in the Inspector palette, while layer elements have a “layer” checkbox. Inflow elements also have lack “position” fields. One other difference is that layer items display a small triangle in the top-left and bottom-right corners.

Inflow elements are used for responsive design because they are within the page flow, so they change their position in response to the way that previous content is displayed. Layers are independent of other content, so they normally stay in the same position and are unaffected by previous content.

Jeremy

On 12 Aug 2019, at 15:15, Chris Bevan via freewaytalk <[email protected]> wrote:

Yes, I was deleting the existing image and replacing it with my own. It does very strange things with the layout of the CSS menus, which I wanted underneath.

I think the template is a responsive one, as the pages change depending on what device it is viewed on.

On 12 Aug 2019, 2:07 pm, waltd wrote:

I’m not at all familiar with that template, but are you trying to draw the image into place, or selecting the existing logo container element, removing its image, and replacing it with your own? If this is a responsive template, I would not expect the former approach to work at all.

Walter

On Aug 12, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Chris Bevan via freewaytalk

Jeremy Hughes

12 Aug 2019, 3:53 pm

Walter’s advice is good. It’s not easy to make substantial changes to a responsive page in Freeway unless you have a good understanding of how responsive design works. Another option would be to see if there is a different template that is closer to what you are aiming for.

Jeremy

Back to Top

agallagher

12 Aug 2019, 4:15 pm

Hi Jeremy and Walter. That’s quite helpful to know, I have noticed how brittle Freeway is in responsive design and thought it was me!! which i’m sure has something to do with it. . Should we expect responsive to be easier/more stable in Freeway 8. I’ve loved freeway since v1.1 but have been struggling with the responsive inflow.

Looking forward to 8 though.

Thanks Anthony